Thursday, May 17, 2012

Messing Up at Work

There are times when you mess up at work.  I just walked in 6 minutes late to a conference call.  Excuse, I was juggling too many things.  What was I doing, getting coffee from Starbucks.  I could have had my coffee and still been on time if I didn't sit to eat a sandwich too.   I thought I would get a lot of shit for this, but it was not a huge deal.  At my workplace, there is a lot of over-reaction to mistakes.

Then there are those mistakes that leave you wondering how messed up the shop is.  My company, not me, sent out a huge report with more typos than a dyslexic second grader's journal.  And the response? I haven't heard a peep from the big boss.  Either she doesn't know (information is being kept from her), or the mistake is so monumental that all one can do is try to fix it.

Berating people is destroying them a little, so they can build themselves back up again.  This has happened to me many times over the course of my short career.  Those trying moments have been some of my best learning experiences even though, I wish they had never happened.   

No comments:

Post a Comment